Thursday, April 12, 2018

The Cherry Tree



18o8035
Photo Credit: kimagurenote Flickr via Compfight cc


The Cherry Tree




It is a good idea to believe that time is standing still. There are children sitting in the cherry tree. They do this every spring. The tree casts a beautiful shade onto the house, so it is never too hot inside. A woodpecker can be heard in the neighbour’s yard. The owls live here too, but they won’t let themselves be seen at daytime. It is even easy to believe that Mimi the cat still visits. She knows there will be milk every time she comes. There is that funny dog too. That one doesn’t need to be fed, he just wants company. There are other trees, but they are small. There are apples and medlars and plums and quinces. Quince flowers smell sweet in early spring. There are lilacs too, so nobody misses the smell of cherry flowers. Sometimes you do what you have to do, but if you try hard, you can easily believe that time is standing still.

And in the garden
the ghost tree grows, white blossoms,
cover the threshold.





10 comments:

  1. It's an intriguing thought about a ghost tree that grows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We really had a tree there, but we had to cut it down because it was sick.

      Delete
  2. And considering the brevity of blossoms, to have them as ghosts is very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true. The fruit season is also very short.

      Delete
  3. I thought I'd commented to let you know how much I like this poem and that I've linked up to it (probably on day 14). Maybe I forgot to click on I'm not a robot? Anyhow, I've linked to yours, I hope that's okay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much.
      I don't moderate my comments, so I don't know why this happened. I checked my Spam folder, nothing there. It has happened to me too when I tried to post on other people's blogs and, yes, it is irritating. Thanks for coming back to post again. I will look at your blog and try to see where you've linked to me.

      Delete
  4. Looks like it's not accepting my Wordpress comments again, this happened a lot in earlier years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to check my settings then. If it's accepting only Google accounts, maybe there is a way to change the settings. Thanks for letting me know.

      Delete